Below is a selection of various support groups being held in the Greater New Bedford Region. For more information about support groups in the area, contact Coastline at 508-999-6400. You may also contact your local Council on Aging.
Memory Loss Support Groups
- Alzheimer’s Support Group: Every other Tuesday, 3 to 4:30 p.m. Held at the Dartmouth Council on Aging. The Alzheimer’s Support group has been meeting bi-monthly at the Dartmouth Council on Aging for many years. This professionally led group is for caregivers and their care partners. Please contact Carolyn Greany, the trained facilitator of the group, prior to attending at 508-304-4587.
- Community Nurse Caregivers Support Group: First Wednesday of the month from 1 to 2 p.m. Held at the Fairhaven COA. Contact Community Nurse 508-992-6278 ext. 2805 to register.
- Memory Loss Support Group: Every other Thursday from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Held at the Marion Council on Aging. To register, call the Marion COA at 508-748-3570 or call Community Nurse at 508-992-6278 ext. 2805.
- Family Caregiver Support Group: Every first Thursday of the month from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Meets at the Dartmouth Council on Aging. Open to any caregiver, regardless of illness of person cared for. Call Stephanie Gibson at Coastline at 774-510-5209.
Virtual Support Groups
- LGBTQ Phone Support: First Monday of the month. For anyone in the LGBTQ community who is caring for an individual with dementia. Contact Barb Meehan at 508-291-0660 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Family Caregiver Support Group: Virtual Meetings are held every third Thursday of the month from 10:30 a.m. to noon. Call Stephanie Gibson at Coastline at 774-510-5209.
- Additional Options: Call the Alzheimer’s Association at 800-272-3900 or visit www.alzconnected.org.
Widowed Persons Support Groups
- Widowed Persons Support Group: First Thursday of each month at 9:30 a.m. Held at the Mattapoisett Council on Aging. A confidential, respectful group of people who share and care. Call Nancy at 508-973-3227 to register.
- Southcoast VNA and Hospice Support Groups: At the Fairhaven Council on Aging. Widow and Widowers Grief Support Group held on the second Thursday of the month from 5 to 6:30 p.m.; General Loss Grief Support held on the third Thursday of the month from 5 to 6:30 p.m.
- Widowed Persons Support: At the Dartmouth Council on Aging. Newly widowed 8:30 to 10:30 a.m., all others from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The Widowed Persons Program (WPP) is open to widowed persons of all ages who are going through the grieving process. It includes group sessions, a telephone service, a referral service, socials, and a newsletter. Please call Jane Rocha at 508-999-3255 for more information.
Miscellaneous Support Groups
- Pound By Pound: Held on Wednesdays at 10 a.m. at the Dartmouth Council on Aging. Pound by Pound is a support group for people eager to adopt healthy lifestyles and eating habits. We offer weekly private weigh-in and monthly dietician visits for education. A registered dietitian from Coastline joins the group monthly for an educational presentation. Call 508-999-4717 for more information.